Position Title: Senior Communications Associate
Reports To: Executive Team
The W. Haywood Burns Institute (BI) is a black-led national, non-profit with a diverse team of bold visionaries, working to transform the notion of what justice means in a country with the history that we share. This is done through challenging racial hierarchy and the social control of communities of color by the justice sector and other public systems, BI employs strategies and tactics to establish a community centered approach of justice re-imagination that is anchored in structural well-being. BI uses the term Structural Well-Being strategically, as it represents a reimagined system of public policies, institutional and inclusive practices, cultural representations, and other norms that work to strengthen families, communities and individual well-being for positive life outcomes. This notion is in direct
contrast to the nation’s current operational framework of structural racism.
The Senior Communications Associate will play an integral role in establishing and promoting BI’s presence, product development and knowledge dissemination through a variety of communication platforms. The Senior Communications Associate will develop a strategic communications plan for the organization including potentially building a communications team to implement the plan.
Essential Job Functions:
Communications Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Develop and support the implementation of a communications plan to broaden awareness of the organization’s work.
- Support and increase the organizations presence and impact on social media, websites, and other virtual spaces to increase visibility and reach.
- Coordinate webpage maintenance—ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly
- Track and measure the level of engagement within the network over time
- Develop and implement communication activities that create momentum and awareness of BI related priorities and work products.
- Develop strategies that test the effectiveness of communications activities.
- Work with the BI team to identify internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Accurately use a multifaceted departmental approach to develop a holistic framework that speaks to the reality of how the system affects communities directly from the field.
- Create and develop artistic imagery, layout and design for BI tools, publications, print materials, etc.
- Extract critical information from various materials and translate into visual sound bites for diverse audiences.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality, and community.
- Work with staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis
- Experience in and knowledge of racial justice, equity and inclusion work
- Have an understanding of systems of oppression and the racial disparities that are byproducts of these systems
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to “manage by influence”
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives, products, sounds bits and tools
- Willingness to share own ideas, even amongst senior staff and board members
- Ability to prioritize and follow through effectively
- Experience with WordPress, HTML, Microsoft Office Suite, Canva, Mac Environment, Email Campaign Systems Salesforce, Mailchimp.
- Willing to execute day-to-day tasks and work independently
This position is salaried, commensurate with experience.
For consideration, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com