The Finance Manager (FM) maintains and improves financial administration of grants, contracts and other revenue including proposals, reporting, budget management, internal monitoring of expenses and receipts, and communications with foundations and staff. The FM is also responsible for the payroll and PTO accruals/use. The FM is responsible for completing tasks utilizing Excel, QuickBooks Desktop and various online applications. This role helps ensure the effective operation of the Finance Department under the leadership and direct supervision of the Director of Finance. The FM is expected to help build and support a high standard of excellence within the Finance Department and grants management. The FM is responsible for helping guide the ongoing financial development of the department and is expected to assume a leadership role.
- Grant and contract management
- Preparation of budget-related materials and supporting documents for proposals and reporting
- Entering expenses and revenue for all grants
- Maintain compliance with all grant and contract financial measures
- Prepare and present monthly grant and contract report to Executive Team
- Monitor grant spending to ensure targets are met
- Monitor contract invoicing to ensure payment
- Ensure compliance with all foundation regulations
- Update Salesforce
- Work with project team leads on budgets and spending
- Support program staff with financial management analysis and comprehension, as appropriate.
- Support the development of organizational-standardized process and tools to be used for revenue management
- Perform monthly allocations of expenses and payroll to grants and contracts
Payroll and 401K Plan
- Prepare and submit bi-monthly payroll
- Oversee preparation and submission of payroll tax filings
- Maintain accurate PTO accruals
- 401K reconciliations quarterly
- Audit benefit plan payments and rates as necessary
- PTO report for executives quarterly
- Communicate with staff about payroll and PTO
- Oversee staff 401K contributions
- Assist in annual filings and other needs to 401K plan
General Finance Responsibilities
- Support annual organizational budget process
- Assist with monthly closings-reconciliations, journal entries, etc
- Support the annual financial audit and tax form 990 preparation
- Support coaching and development of program staff in budget development, tracking and reporting.
- Guide and coach Finance Assistant in building financial management and systems skills and provide backup support for this role, as necessary.
- Make recommendations for and support implementation of BI operations/finance systems improvements with a focus on agency growth, capacity and sustainability.
- Other financial and administrative support, as requested
- Be conscientious of healthy communication between domains and take a leadership role in helping build positive culture.
Required to attend the following meetings:
- All Staff meetings
- Finance/Budget meeting with executive team
- All staff huddle calls
- Supervision with Director of Finance
- Coaching with Executive Director
- At least 6 years of progressively responsible experience in financial positions.
- Experience with payroll, preparing reports and monthly closing required.
- Experience in grants management strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated achievement in providing financial leadership, analysis, and strategic thinking in support of a complex, dynamic organization.
- Knowledge of accounting.
- Experience with reconciliation and cost allocation.
- Experience working with multiple income streams such as grants, contracts, fees for service, donations.
- Strong Excel, Microsoft Suite skills.
- Ability to convert/translate numbers into graphics or charts tailored for non-fiscal audiences.
- High degree of accuracy with numbers and details required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Commitment to inclusive decision making and staff development.
- Flexibility, finely-tuned sense of humor, and thoughtful responsiveness.
- Capacity to build robust infrastructure and systems that are scalable for growth.
- Ability to learn, apply knowledge and adapt to changing organizational needs.
To apply for this position, please email your resume and cover letter to Vaughna Cochenour at firstname.lastname@example.org.